Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 2001 11:50:43 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Duncan Barclay <dmlb@dmlb.org>
Cc:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, Assar Westerlund <assar@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Lucent Wavelan and 4.2 works like a charm.

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 10:40:10AM -0000, Duncan Barclay wrote:
> This is not true. Ad-hoc mode is part of the 802.11 standard and IMO is
> more useful for a home network than the added expense of an access point.
> Ad-hoc mode will not be removed from 802.11 as it represents a valuable
> part of the LAN configuration.

With current pricing trends, I think this is becoming less and less
true.  With the the D-Link access points running as low as $234 on
shopper.com the price difference between an access point and a PCI card
is rapidly approching 0.  Ad-hoc is still important, but frankly it's
not very useful for most situations.

-- Brooks