Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 1996 09:38:47 +0100 (BST)
From:      Developer <dev@fgate.flevel.co.uk>
To:        Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: running linux-elf matlab

On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, Tom Bartol wrote:

> I also added /lib/elf to /compat/linux/etc/ld.so.conf and rehashed
> ld.so.cache with ldconfig as per the section of the FreeBSD handbook on
> linux compat.  Now, one would hope that matlab would run but here's what
> results when I try:
>
> /usr/local/pkgs/matlab-4.2c/bin/lnx86/matlab
> ELF interpreter /lib/elf/ld-linux.so.1 not known
> Abort
>
> and
>
> /compat/linux/usr/bin/ldd /usr/local/pkgs/matlab-4.2c/bin/lnx86/matlab
> ELF interpreter /lib/elf/ld-linux.so.1 not known
>
> So, it would appear that /lib/elf/ld-linux.so.1 is missing but we can see
> from the above ls command that it is there so does anyone out there have a
> clue as to how I should proceed with this problem?  Perhaps by "not known"
> the ELF interpreter is telling me that it can find
> /lib/elf/ld-linux.so.1 but doesn't know what to do with
> /lib/elf/ld-linux.so.1

Did you make sure that /lib/elf/ is in the library path for ldconfig?

If it still does that then I think that either you have a permission
problem with the libraries or you are using the wrong versions.. maybe you
would like to try my version of /compat/linux .. it's quite
comprehensive.. I put it on ftp.flevel.co.uk in /pub/bsd/linux.compat.tgz

Regards,

Trefor S.