Date:      Sun, 15 Aug 2004 22:19:56 +0100 (BST)
From:      Vince Hoffman <jhary@unsane.co.uk>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Fr=E9d=E9ric_DUBOUCHET?= <angel@calodox.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.x on a portege A100

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Fr=E9d=E9ric DUBOUCHET wrote:

> Vince Hoffman wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >=09Firstly sorry for the cross post but it seemed equaly appropriate
> >for both lists.
> >=09I'm rather idley trying to get 5.2.1+ to work on my toshiba
> >portege A100. So far no joy, 5.x will not boot. I have tried the
> >various boot menu options (with and without ACPI), but 5.2.1
> >and the latest -CURRENT snapshot I could could find on the snapshot serv=
er
> >both freeze at pci0, ACPI enabled says, pci0: <acpi PCI bus> on pcib0
> >non ACPI says pci0: <pci bus on pcib0>. I'll write down and retype the
> >entire output if it'll help.
> >
> >=094.x (-STABLE at the mo but 4.9 and 4.10 as well) works fine with
> >or without ACPI (with just a few problems with the synaptics touchpad,
> >such as it not working on a warm reboot.)
> >However I would be happpy with 4.x if it were not for the fact that the
> >built in wireless is not supported, so i'd like to try 5.x for Project
> >Evil.
> >
> >I was wondering if anyone had any ideas, either of anything i could try =
> >get 5.x booting or else any useful I could send to the -CURRENT list,
> >as sadly I have no useful programming skills to try and fix it myself.
> >
> >Vince
"

> Ehlo,
>
> Try this option at boot (enter the interactive boot mode) :
> set hw.pci.enable_io_modes=3D0
> boot
> usualy it solve boot probleme (at least for me) for 5.x on Toshiba...

Excellent, this gets me past that freeze.
 However, the next problem is that sysinstall belives it have the wrong
disk geometry, its the same geometry that 4.x uses so i'm not sure whats
wrong but letting fdisk choose what it believes to be correct settings
means that fdisk sees incorrect partition labels (XENIX /usr)

Think i need to do more delving in the archives. thanks for getting me
this far.

Vince