Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 09:37:03 -0700
From:      pal@taurus.srccomp.com (Paul Leskar)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        pal@taurus.srccomp.com
Subject:   NIS and Solaris 2.6

I am running my server with FreeBSD 2.2 and have a NIS client running Solaris
2.6.

I have turned on "ypserv" and "ypbind" on FreeBSD but get errors whenever I try
to send mail from the Solaris box to the FreeBSD box[cannot bind etc]. In
addition I get other RPC errors etc too numerous to itemize,

My question is exactly what options and daemons do I need to turn on in
/etc/rc.conf to enable my FreeBSD server as a NIS server. I have tried various
combinations with no success. Whenever I turn ypbind on, my PPP autodial quits
working for no reason. I have scrounged thru all of the mailing lists and am
unable to find much specific documentation regarding NIS....

# Network Information Services (NIS) options: ###
nis_client_enable="YES"         # We're an NIS client (or NO)
nis_client_flags="-s -ypsetme"  # Flags to ypbind (if enabled).
nis_ypset_enable="NO"           # Run ypset at boot time (or NO).
nis_ypset_flags=""              # Flags to ypset (if enabled).
nis_server_enable="YES"         # We're an NIS server (or NO)
nis_server_flags="-n"           # Flags to ypserv (if enabled).
nis_ypxfrd_enable="YES"         # Run rpc.ypxfrd at boot time (or NO).
nis_ypxfrd_flags=""             # Flags to rpc.ypxfrd (if enabled).
nis_yppasswdd_enable="YES"      # Run rpc.yppasswdd at boot time (or NO).
nis_yppasswdd_flags=""          # Flags to rpc.yppasswdd (if enabled).

I have done all of the "/var/yp" stuff correctly, I believe. Thanks for any
input. Also,do I have to run Kerberos to make all of this happen?

Paul Leskar