Date:      Sun, 25 Mar 2001 07:14:47 -0800
From:      Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@freebsd.org>, Paul Saab <ps@freebsd.org>, Matt Dillon <dillon@freebsd.org>, Soeren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vm page panic

	Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 11:20:17 +0200
	From: Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
	To: Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>,
	   Peter Wemm <peter@freebsd.org>,
	   Paul Saab <ps@freebsd.org>, Matt Dillon <dillon@freebsd.org>,
	   Soeren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.org>
	Cc: current@freebsd.org
	Subject: vm page panic

	Hi guys,

	ok, sources cvsupped yesterday afternoon, just before my ffs_alloc.c
	commit [which I did, obviously, add myself locally].

	Box had been running for a while when all of a sudden it got into a
	panic:

	vm_page_alloc: free/cache page 0xc0776fa4 was dirty

	a trace in ddb shows:

	allocbuf()
	getblk()
	ffs_balloc()
	ffs_write()
	vn_rdwr()
	elf_coredump()
	coredump()

	Unfortunately my ata controller didn't get reprobed [just was hanging
	there] so I couldn't get a crashdump. =( [HPT366]

	So consider this a heads-up, since you might encounter this.

	Extra info:

	devfs running,
	/ is normal FFS
	/tmp, /var, /usr, /storage all soft-updated.

	--
	Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven/Asmodai .oUo. asmodai@[wxs.nl|freebsd.org]
	Documentation nutter/C-rated Coder BSD: Technical excellence at its best

The latest round of changes to ffs_alloc.c add code which is only ever
used by background fsck which is not yetbeing used. So, it seems
very unlikely that your panic has been triggered byv these changes.

	Kirk