Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2002 11:29:40 +0100
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        "Michael L. Squires" <mikes@siralan.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD SCSI <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Initializing SCSI drive ST15150W

On Tue, 19-Nov-2002 at 12:41:08 -0500, Michael L. Squires wrote:
> > ISTR that you can patch the sym driver to not complain about
> > this.  However, last time we've been discussing it, it turned
> > out that this is usually an indication of a firmware bug in the
> > drive.  Is it possible for you to upgrade the drive firmware?
>
> Seagate does not usually allow end-users to update firmware.

Hmm, I have received several firmware images from Seagate already.
I have been in contact with them using the company email address
as well as with my private address. In both cases, they were very
helpful and responded very quickly.

BTW, I have two firmware images for the ST15150N (!W). The first
one brings it two something like V 1.24. The second one takes it
to V 2.23. I have not been able to beam my old V 1.xx directly to
2.23; I had to install the 1.24 first.

> SCSITOOL can update firmware and the author indicates that he
> does have some Seagate firmware updates:

I have written a small tool for FreeBSD which does this for SCSI
devices. Yes, I updated my ST15150N with it years ago. In case
s.o. is interested drop me a note.

	-Andre