Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 1996 14:59:42 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        "Stephen L. Palmer" <elrond1@earthlink.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as an IP masqarading gateway (Was:yet another PPP Question)

On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, Stephen L. Palmer wrote:

> Along this same line of thought.
>
>   I am a semi-UN*X-literate user, and am trying to do a simialar thing.
> I have 2 PC's at home, connected with ne200 ethernet cards.  I have
> assigned my FreeBSD box IP address 10.0.0.1, and my Win95 box 10.0.0.2.  My
> BSD box has the modem, and a dialup PPP connection with dynamicly assigned
> IP address.
>   My Goal:  Let my wife start Netcape on the Win95 machine, the BSD box
> detects internet bound packets, and does the dial-on-demand PPP conection.
> (more on this later)  After 5 to 10 minutes of non-use, the PPP link should
> consider itself non-used, and disconnect.
If all you need is Netscape, then you don't even need any masquerading
stuff. You can simply set up a proxy on the FreeBSD box (there are some
in the ports collection, and even Apache should do, at least as of
V1.1.1). That will allow you to use Netscape, and that only (well, any
web browser, but nothing more) on the Win95 machine. No direct TCP/IP
connections to/from the Win95 will be possible. If you want services you
don't have proxies for you may want and use something like socks or the
IPfilter ipnat utility.

>   Where I am:  I can ping either box from the other (netmask 255.255.255.0)
>  I can use PPP <service name>, then "dial" from the PPP> prompt to make the
> PPP Link on the BSD box.  Then I can surf to my hearts content from the BSD
> box.  I  *can-not* reach the internet either via DNS, or numeric IP from
This ------>^^^^^^^
is expected. Your ISP will not let the 10.x.x.x addresses through. Those
addresses should never reach the Internet.

> the WIn95 box.  I have enabled Gatewaying in the /etc/sysconfig.  I have
> set my FreeBSD box as gateway and DNS server in Win95's TCP/IP config.
>   What I lack:
> 	1:	I am aware that the 10.X.X.X sub-net is not internet-legal.
>               How do I
>               make the FreeBSD box "fake" or "mask" the address to allow
>               traffic.
To "fake" an address, use socks or IPfilter's ipnat (IP network address
translation). However, this might be an overkill.

> 	2:	When I start "ppp -auto <sevrvice-name>", the ppp link starts,
> 		and works, however, it does not wait for an internet-bound
>		packet to
> 		start, and after a timeout, it immediatley re-dials.
> 	3:	On a completely different tangent, is there a *free* NFS
>		client for Win95?  I have samba working, but want to play with
>		NFS...  :-)
> 	4:	If the answer to any of the above is RTFM, I apologize, but
>		I've tried, so please point
> 		me to the appropriate manual or handbook pages   :-)
I don't know anything about the rest of your questions. Moral: Put
unrelated questions in different postings!!!

> Thanks,
> Stephen L. Palmer
> elrond1@earthlink.net
>

> Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu> wrote in article