Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 11:29:21 +0200
From:      "Theo van Klaveren" <t.vanklaveren@student.utwente.nl>
To:        "Soren Schmidt" <sos@freebsd.dk>, "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Hackers" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: audiofs mixing audio and data tracks

Soren Schmidt wrote:

| Ahem, maybe its time I chime in here.
| Luigi and I once had an idea of having each track on a CD represented
| by a device node, ie track0 = /dev/acd0t1 track1 = /dev/acd0t2 etc etc,
| that way you could mount each track with whatever fs it supported.
| This could be used to do what you want, and now where the ata driver
| supports odd sector sizes, there is nothing hindering doing the
| mount of an audio track (given the right mount_bla util that is).

I stand corrected. I hadn't thought the ATA driver was so close to doing
that already. Then again, I haven't extensively studied the ATA code yet.

| The only problem is that we have to abuse the minor# etc to
| get space for the 99 tracks a CD can hold, but that is not too bad...

Tracks, as in audio tracks? You wouldn't want a device for each audio track,
you want one device for _all_ audio tracks and one device per data track. Or
am I misunderstanding you here?

Theo van Klaveren