Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 1998 14:20:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brooks Davis <brdavis@orion.ac.hmc.edu>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems with SMC EtherPower II (SMC9432TX)

I'm trying to configure FreeBSD 2.2.7 on a HP Vectra VL we just got here
and I'm having problems with the ethernet card (see subject).  It works
fine under NT, but when I boot FreeBSD the card isn't able to autosense
the correct mode and the hub (a 3Com SuperStack II duel speed hub 500).
Attempts at forcing it to one mode or another have met with little
success.  I can get it to link, but I can't do that and get IP configuired
on it.  If I try to do it all at once with the following ifconfig command
then the machine crashes:

ifconfig tx0 inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask 255.255.255.224 media 100baseTX

If I configure the IP stuff and then try to set the media as follows the
machine doesn't crash and the hub indicates that 100mb link has been
established, but the network doesn't work and I get errors from the kernel
when I try to ping my gateway:

ifconfig tx0 inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask 255.255.255.224
ifconfig tx0 media 100baseTX

The dmesg output for the card is:

tx0 <SMC 83c170> rev 6 int a irq 11 on pci0:12:0
tx0: address 00:e0:29:1b:ba:96, type SMC9432TX, phy QS6612, Auto-Neg 100Mbps
tx0: WARNING! no link established

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Thanks for your time,
Brooks Davis