Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 19:13:11 +0200
From:      Amedeo Beck Peccoz <gea@gressoney.it>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   mgetty & faxes

I've been trying to set up mgetty to receive incoming faxes
but when I enable incoming fax detection (i.e. fax-only = no
and data-only = no in mgetty.conf) the modem doesn't
behave properly. It actually receives and sends faxes
but when accepting a data connection, mgetty lanches
ppp -direct on the serial port which assignes IPs to
the local and remote peer, but the I cannot even ping
from one peer to the other, as I get:

Jul 27 18:48:44 platone ppp[307]: Error: DeflateInput: Seq error: Got 1,
expected 0

 on the client console and log files whenever I try to
send out a packet from the server. It is also horribly slow in
sending out faxes (up to 9min far an A4 page).

 The bad news is that this doesn't happen ALWAYS but
more or less 9 times on 10, but if I shut the
server down and switch the modem off and the back on
it probably works!

 Configuration:
FreeBSD 2.2.7-STABLE, mgetty 1.1.16 compiled here,
the modem is a mixed analog/digital modem fax for
ISDN and analog calls with a rockwell chipset
(option switchbd 19200 in mgetty.conf to accept
the incoming faxes).
 Need tons of logs?

 Cheers

--