Date:      Thu, 9 Mar 1995 18:37:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Paul Southworth <pauls@locust.cic.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Ethernet hardware docs available now.

Hi guys.  I dropped a line to Jordan and David Greenman last month about
the SMC ethernet card specs I have acquired and I haven't heard back.  So
anyway, this is just an update, and is probably only interesting to people
who write network drivers.

These are the documents I have now in my sweaty little hands:

92-000029 SMC8432 PCI Ethernet Adapter Spec., Rev. D, 1 Sep 94.
	* This is for the DECchip 21040 based card

96-002509 SMC8416 16-bit Ethernet Adapters Spec., Rev. A, 13 Feb 95.
	* In other words, Elite Ultra...

96-000081 SMC9332 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter Spec., Rev A, 30 Nov 94.
	* This is for the DECchip 21140 based card
	* 100mb/sec and 10mb/sec modes are possible

EC-QC0CA-TE DECchip 21140 PCI Fast Ethernet LAN Controller Hardware
            Reference Manual, 10 Feb 95.
	* This is the chipset reference for the above card, from DEC.

These are the adapters that they sent me:

SMC8432 EtherPower PCI Ethernet Adapter (10baseT) (21040 chipset)
SMC8416 EtherEZ PnP Ethernet Adapter (combo) (83C795QF chipset)
SMC9332 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (10baseT and DB9 connectors)

Also received the latest beta driver kit (executables only) for the SMC9332
on floppy.

I have been promised documentation for the twin-channel EISA card as well,
supposedly should be available in 1-2 weeks.

The first three documentation kits listed above are loose stapled and I
can fax them anywhere in the US or Canada.  The DEC document is bound.
I will cover shipping expenses to and from any developer who wants to
take on the task of either writing or updating SMC drivers.  I would
like the cards returned when done so I can send them on to other free
operating system device-driver developers (when you're done you can
ship them to me with a COD for the shipping if you like).  Regretfully
I do not have any other hardware to offer at this time.  When the
twin-channel EISA docs are in, I can send on my personal adapter if SMC
does not provide one.

If you are interested in documentation from other vendors who have
been too slow or uncooperative, please give them to me and I will go
beat the shit out of them until they provide docs.

Cheers.

--Paul

--
Paul Southworth