Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 1996 11:50:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Douglas Ambrisko <ambrisko@tcs.com>
To:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need ld help on SOCKS5 port

John Polstra writes:

| Bud Dodson writes:
|
| > gcc -o libsocks5_sh.so -shared msg.so protocol.so ... -lcompat
| > ld: No reference to __DYNAMIC
| > *** Error code 1
|
| On FreeBSD, you build a shared library like this:
|
|     ld -Bshareable -o libsocks5_sh.so.1.0 msg.so protocol.so ... -lcompat
|
| Just use "ld -Bshareable" in place of "gcc -shared".  (I also added major
| and minor version numbers to the name of your output file.)
|
| In my opinion, it's a bug that "gcc -shared" doesn't work.  But nobody
| (including me) has ever bothered to fix that.

FYI, I've been working on Socks5 and have it running at home so I only
need one IP.  Socks5 is changing fast so people should watch the
Socks5 mailing list, it is also a good idea to look at the web page
"http://www.socks.nec.com".

This library is basically useless with FreeBSD as it is now.  I have submited
a patch to Socks5 Beta 10 to the Socks5 list and it has been rolled into
the Socks4 Beta 11 release.  This one compiles out of the box!  The reason
that this library is useless is that FreeBSD doesn't support LD_PRELOAD
yet.  I've been working with John to add this support to FreeBSD.

FYI John, the version number is useless information and would break
things in this case of LD_PRELOAD.  Libs are handled differently with
LD_PRELOAD which is the way libsocks5_sh.so is used.

I have a "port" ready to go, but I've been waiting for an official release
from the author and for him to make it accessible via ftp.  I should have
it done tomorrow night if all goes well.

Stay tuned.

Doug A.