Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 2014 11:21:54 -0400
From:      Ajtim <lumiwa@gmail.com>
To:        Matthew Pherigo <hybrid120@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Buffalo Firewire 1TB HD

On Friday 28 March 2014 10:07:32 Matthew Pherigo wrote:
> Hey,
>
> FAT32 can't handle files over 4 GB. What are the other computers that you
> want to connect to? If your concern is compatibility with Windows, you may
> have to format with NTFS to not be hit by stupid filesystem limits.
>
> Also, remember that if you aren't planning to use the device in non-BSD
> systems anytime soon, and you're only formatting it like that 'just in
> case', remember that there are FUSE drivers for everything (ZFS on Windows?
> Sure!), which means any operating system can read your chosen filesystem if
> you can install FUSE. So, for example, if the drive would only ever be
> plugged into a non-BSD computer in the case of some tech disaster needing
> recovery of the files, the many benefits of a UFS/ZFS filesystem far
> outweighs the negatives of needing a FUSE translation layer. :)
>
> --Matt

I have an iMac 11,1 computer with OS X and FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE installed. I
use FreeBSD 90% or more and OS X just for listening music and converting video
files which on FreeBSD with ffmpeg I have problems. I have external hard drive
from the subject on which I have one partition for OS X backup and other I
like to use for both. I have many video files on FreeBSD which I want to copy
on external drive and than use them on OS X.

Thanks.

--
ajtiM
--------