Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 1996 08:12:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Joe Nieten <jln@defiant.vhm.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JDK for FreeBSD

On Mon, 10 Jun 1996, Chuck Robey wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jun 1996, Joe Nieten wrote:
>

> > Does anyone know how to get the version of JDK that has been ported to FreeBSD?
>
> I don't understand, doesn't doing a make in /usr/ports/jdk work for you?
> If not, what's the error you're getting?

As I recall that just includes the class files.  You also need
something that runs java bytecode.  I gather kaffe does this
(have not tried) and Netscape is suppoed to, but doesn't always
work too well.

I've been using the liunx jdk port with success under -current.
It supports the GUI stuff which is pretty important if you are
doing applet coding and don't want to hassle with netscape just
to view the darn things.

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================