Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 14:24:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        mckusick@mckusick.com
Subject:   Any outstanding soft-updates or FFS bugs (matching this description)?

This past weekend, our main mail server got mail-bombed.[1]  We ended up
with a /var/spool/mqueue with over 50,000 files in it.  /var and
/var/spool are on separate partitions, and both filesystems were
running with soft updates enabled.  The log files in /var were being
extended rapidly, as was the /var/spool/mqueue directory.

Somehow during all this the root directory and inodes of /var got
completely toasted, beyond the ability of fsck to clean them up.
(fsck eventually errored out, complaining of a preposterously large
inode number.)

The machine did not panic, and was grinding along happily without a
/var until I rebooted it to force a fsck.

During recovery procedures, I turned soft updates off on both
filesystems, and things seem to be running smoothly now.  I also
deleted the spam and reconfigured sendmail to block further
submissions, so that probably hasn't proven anything.  The entire
contents of /var were lost (even before I newfs'ed the partition), and
the gigantic /var/spool/mqueue has now been compacted, so I can't say
precisely how large it was (other than ``probably on its first
indirect block'').

This machine is running:
	FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE #4: Thu Sep  7 21:14:09 EDT 2000

I recall that there was a soft updates bug related to filling up the
disk, but in scanning through the logs it certainly appears that this
was fixed (and would have led to a panic anyway).

-GAWollman

[1] Actually, it was relay-raped to mail-bomb another machine on our
network.