Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2007 14:29:08 +0100
From:      Willy Offermans <Willy@Offermans.Rompen.nl>
To:        hylafax-users@hylafax.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [hylafax-users] notify script on FreeBSD 6.2

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 08:23:15AM -0400, Aidan Van Dyk wrote:
> * Willy Offermans <Willy@Offermans.Rompen.nl> [070313 07:51]:
> > Dear hylaFAX friends,
> >
> > Running HylaFAX 4.3.2 on FreeBSD 6.2 produces following error:
> >
> > nawk -f bin/b64-encode.awk < /tmp/tmp-50791/body.txt
>
> > The encoding ends up in a loop!
> >
> > The workaround is to use gawk instead of nawk on FreeBSD for the
> > b64-encoding. I forgot about the differences between awk, nawk and gawk
> > on FreeBSD, but it could be related to a special implementation of awk
> > under FreeBSD. I will try to replace nawk by gawk in setup.cache. If I
> > don't post a next message you can assume that it works.
>
> Any chance I could get access to a freebsd account with nawk?  We'ld
> certainly like to get it working.
>
> But seeing as you're using the fallback awk encoder, is it true that you
> don't have any of mimencode, base64-encode, or uuencode installed on
> your system?  If you do, did you re-run faxsetup?
>
> a.

Dear Aidan,

Sure you can have access to the FreeBSD machine. If I can contribute to
the ``development'' of hylaFAX, although in a very passive manner, I'm
always willing to do so. If you can send me your IP address and
possible username in private, I can make an account for you. However I
have to tell you that this is a production machine and although it is
only a small network, it is very precious to me and the users. If you
need an account, be cautious.

Indeed I found a possible error in setup.cache

MIMENCODE='base64-encode' I do not have a program called base64-encode,
it is called base64 under FreeBSD, I guess. So I will play with the
settings for AWK='/usr/local/bin/gawk' or AWK='/usr/bin/nawk' and
MIMENCODE='base64-encode'. How can I trigger that base64 is used
instead of bin/b64-encode.awk? Probably I find myself a solution if I
look carefully. mimencode is neither installed nor a FreeBSD port.
It could be part of a port, I will look it up. uuencode is
properly installed.

Some googling learned met that nawk is a newer awk. "An enhanced
version of AWK, with dynamic regular expressions, additional built-ins
..." Most probably you can install it on a linux machine as well,
assuming that you have access to a linux machine. It seems __not__ to
be a FreeBSD implementation of awk.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With kind regards,