Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 07:55:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Vladimir N.Silyaev" <vns@mindspring.com>
To:        ak@freenet.co.uk
Cc:        John Reynolds <jjreynold@home.com>, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some VMware progress. More questions (was Re: latest VMware port  dumping core. )

A G F Keahan wrote:
>> General observations / questions:
>>
>>  o It is PAINFULLY slow. If I ever get the VMware tools installed will that
>>    help? I've got TWO Pentium III 500Mhz CPUs and 256Mb of RAM in this machine
>>    and the vmware window running win98 seems like when I used to run Windows NT
>>    on a 486DX4 with slow ISA video card. With this much CPU, is the slowness I
>>    see with VMware typical? Do other users see this much slowness? What can be
>>    done to speed things up?
>
>First of all, run it in full-screen (DGA) mode, if your adapter supports
>it.
For that he have to install VMware tools at first. And as I wrote before,
several weeks ago, it's just a good sense to bootup in to the Safe Mode and
create _another_ hardware profile for Win98 under VMware.

>This would speed things up immensely.   Here I'm running WinNT on
>a Pentium III 600 with 256Mb of RAM, and no-one can tell the difference
>between VMWare and the real thing.   Once our local NT sysadmin had to
>use my computer, and after 30 minutes he still didn't notice anything
>unusual -- LOL!   In fact, access to the disk and CD-ROM seems to be
>much faster under FreeBSD-powered NT (TM), because FreeBSD knows how to
>enable UDMA66 on my drive and NT doesn't (at least not by default).
And also I suppose that WinNT works bit faster under VMware than
Win98, due to the nature of Win98.

>>  o In vain, I tried to access my CD-ROM which is a scsi device sitting on ahc0
>>    target 3. If I tried to "install" this device inside the configuration
>>    editor I instantly get a core-dump the next time I try to "power on" the VM
>>    with the following message to the console:
>>
>>       /: write failed, file system is full
>>       VMware Workstation PANIC: Slave process "SCSI0:3" died
Even when you are using SCSI CDROM, you should tried to install in under
vmware as IDE one.

--
Vladimir