Date:      Fri, 6 Dec 96 16:54 MET
From:      shanee@rabbit.augusta.de (Andreas Kohout)
To:        current@freebsd.org, paulo@isr.uc.pt
Subject:   Re: mount_mfs

In article <Pine.SUN.3.95.961205225215.2247A-100000@pioneer>,
	paulo@isr.uc.pt (Paulo Menezes) writes:

> In one of our student labs I installed 4 486DX33 Machines as X-terminals.
> They are using netboot and share the same tree. I would like to make them
> mount the root filesystem readonly but the Xserver complains that need to
> create locks in /tmp.
> This could be simply solved by creating a "ramdisk" and mounting it in
> /tmp. I digged in the man pages for mount_mfs but I couldn't figure how to
> create an fstab entry for this. Can someone give me an example on
> how-to-do-this?

from /usr/share/doc/handbook/handbook.ascii

options MFS

      Memory-mapped file system.  This is basically a RAM disk for fast
      storage of temporary files, useful if you have a lot of swap space
      that you want to take advantage of.  A perfect place to mount an
      MFS partition is on the /tmp directory, since many programs store
      temporary data here.  To mount an MFS RAM disk on /tmp, add the
      following line to /etc/fstab and then reboot or type mount /tmp:

           /dev/wd1s2b   /tmp mfs rw 0 0

           Note: Replace the /dev/wd1s2b with the name of your swap
           partition, which will be listed in your /etc/fstab as
           follows:

                /dev/wd1s2b none swap sw 0 0

           Note:  Also, the MFS filesystem can not be dynamically
           loaded, so you must compile it into your kernel if you
           want to experiment with it.

--
Greeting, Andy
                                                    running FreeBSD-current