Date:      Sun, 4 Jul 2010 09:26:53 -0400
From:      Maxim Khitrov <mkhitrov@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Same priority pf/altq queues not supported?

Hello all,

I'm configuring pf on FreeBSD 7.3 and would like to use the following
altq settings:

altq on $ext priq bandwidth 9240Kb queue {low, red, med, top}
altq on {$int1, $int2, $srv} priq bandwidth 100Mb queue {low, red, med, top}

queue low priority 1 priq(default)  # Default priority queue
queue red priority 1 priq(red)      # Default priority TCP queue with RED
queue med priority 2                # DNS, DHCP, ACKs, and TOS == lowdelay
queue top priority 3                # ICMP, NTP

When I try to load these settings, I get the following errors:

pfctl: low and red have the same priority
pfctl: low and red have the same priority
pfctl: low and red have the same priority
pfctl: low and red have the same priority
/etc/pf.conf:79: errors in queue definition

OpenBSD 4.1 documentation states that "if two or more queues are
assigned the same priority then those queues are processed in a
round-robin fashion." Is there any specific reason why this behavior
was altered in the FreeBSD port?

I'm not really sure of what to do, because I don't want to prioritize
or deprioritize TCP traffic, and I can't have RED enabled for any
other protocol. If you have any other general-purpose queuing
suggestions, please let me know.

- Max