Date:               Tue, 3 Sep 1996 14:53:09 +600 CDT
From:      "Larry Dolinar" <LARRYD@bldg1.croute.com>
To:        owner-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:         Re: TCP/IP incoming falling asleep?

|  From:           Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>

                         <my rantings deleted>

|  Something to try after shuffling IRQs (and perhaps trying polled mode):

Polled mode's been tried already (all set polled).

|  I wonder if you are running low on mbufs.  You aren't getting any unusual
|  kernel messages?  (And what happened to vty0?)

Not that I've seen, and I'm puzzled about vty0 also.  The "after" dump
was done from the console, but it doesn't answer the question.

|  Send us the output of netstat -m during normal ops and when it gets stuck.

before (3 or 4 lpd's running):

13 mbufs in use:
    3 mbufs allocated to data
    3 mbufs allocated to packet headers
    5 mbufs allocated to protocol control blocks
    2 mbufs allocated to socket names and addresses
3/8 mbuf clusters in use
17 Kbytes allocated to network (43% in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

after (everything SSSSLLLOOOOOWWWW):

8 mbufs in use:
    1 mbufs allocated to packet headers
    5 mbufs allocated to protocol control blocks
    2 mbufs allocated to socket names and addresses
0/16 mbuf clusters in use
33 Kbytes allocated to network (3% in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

after reboot:

7 mbufs in use:
    5 mbufs allocated to protocol control blocks
    2 mbufs allocated to socket names and addresses
0/2 mbuf clusters in use
4 Kbytes allocated to network (17% in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

thanks,