Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 1996 09:00:02 -0700 (MST)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        proot@horton.iaces.com
Subject:   Re: Upgrading XFree86 on 2.1.6

Paul T. Root asked:
 > I've upgraded my 2.1.5 machine to 2.1.6 and would like to
 > upgrade XFree86 to 3.2. How do I go about that? Can I just extract
 > the tar files on top of the old?

When you ftp the X32*.tgz files you need, also get preinst.sh and
postinst.sh.  Cd to /usr/X11R6, run preinst.sh, then extract each of
the .tgz files you need.  Run postinst.sh to clean up.  Now run
XF86Setup, the cool new graphical setup utility in 3.2.

Works like a charm, as long as you actually know what kind of VGA card
you've got.  (I spent an hour yesterday trying to convince X that my
card had an S3 ViRGE, when closer examination revealed it was an S3
Trio64.  ;^)