Date:      Mon, 20 Jul 2009 08:56:51 +1000
From:      Andrew Snow <andrew@modulus.org>
To:        Matthew Grooms <mgrooms@shrew.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD + carp on VMWare ESX

Matthew Grooms wrote:
> I was having problems running carp on VMWare ESX 4 and did a little
> investigative work to determine the cause of the problem.

If have tested CARP on ESX 3.5u4 successfully with a 32-bit FreeBSD
guest with e1000 vNICs.

As well as turning on promiscuous mode on the vSwitch, you have to
enable "MAC Address changes" and "Forged transmits" as CARP requires
these to work properly.

Unless this is a vSphere-specific problem I must suspect your
configuration as the problem.  Do you want to post your CARP config?

- Andrew