Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 2001 12:15:55 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Edwin Culp <eculp@EnContacto.Net>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel 2011 (802.11b)

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 09:48:13AM -0800, Edwin Culp wrote:
> How does a person control access to the AP once installed?  I know that I can
> control most by adding the MAC's to a list but that isn't very dynamic.  Is
> there another way, just using a login and passwd?  This is especially important,
> now that you can buy wireless cards in office depot :-)

You can force users to know the SSID to connect and you can use WEP.  I
don't know of any login/passwd solutions.  I'm actually considering
setting up a system where we place the APs on a private VLAN with the
only way out being a PPPoE connection or an IPSec tunnel.  This would
provide access control and security and would basicaly eliminate any
worries about link security.

-- Brooks