Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 1996 19:04:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        grflint@h0011110.smith.ilstu.edu (Greg Flint)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org (freeq)
Subject:   Re: NFS

Greg Flint wrote...

Before we start, a small hint, please divide the lines of your mail, it's
much easier to read this way, isn't it?

> How do I get NFS to hookup?? I try to mount the filesystem manually and all I get is an error that says NFS Portmap: RPC: Program not registered. When I do a ps aux, portmap is running, so that is not the problem, but this RPC is where I am uncertain. I looked at the man page section 5 at /etc/rpc and viewed /etc/rcp adn I am still clueless. If anyone could tell me how to NFS mount a filesystem from one FreeBSD box to another.... please add in your two cents, thanks in advance
> Greg

Before we start (II) - please let us know what release of FreeBSD you are
running.  It can make a big difference in non-obvious ways.

Have you told your boxes to be nfs client(s)/server(s) as necessary?  I
suspect that your problem isn't that the portmapper isn't working, but
that the program it wants to talk to (nfsd on a server) isn't there.

Look at '/etc/sysconfig' - set the appropriate nfs client and server
flags to 'YES' and reboot.  Then try again.  Should work like a
charm

John

--
Well, that's like hypnotizing chickens.