Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 2002 01:57:48 -0700
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: proposed changes to kern_switch.c and kern_synch.c

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 05:09:16PM -0700, Lars Eggert wrote:
> Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > it is basically the WF2Q+ algorithm used in dummynet (i am the king
> > of recycling :). The OS community calls this "Proportional Share"
> > or something like that.
>
> Since it sounds similar, what are the key differences to the lottery
> scheduler
> (http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/computing/software/lottery-sched.html)?

i don't know much on the lottery scheduler, but it looks like it
is probabilistic as opposed to deterministic. The paper on lottery
scheduling claims to have the same O(log N) complexity as WF2Q+
(though i haven't looked at the implementation issues).

In any case, one of the good things of our work is that it provides
a framework for replacing the standard scheduler with another one
with minimal interaction with the rest of the system, being all
code and data structures confined in a private file/data structures.

	cheers
	luigi