Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 2014 11:40:15 -0400
From:      Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 10 custom bootonly ISO error

Hi all,

I will customize the FreeBSD 10 bootonly ISO to perform a non-interactive,
automated OS installation.  The initial ISO was built via release.sh and
was successfully tested for boot functionality prior to touching
${CHROOTDIR}/usr/obj/usr/src/release/bootonly/etc/installerconfig and
running mkisofs on bootonly/ generating a new bootonly ISO.

NOTE: mkisofs command used: mkisofs -R -no-emul-boot -b boot/cdboot -o
bootonly.iso bootonly

Booting the new ISO via a vmware 5.x VM resulted in an error mounting the
filesystem[1] (see image in reference [1]).  Manually entering the "mount
from" here[2] (cd9660:/dev/cd0) resulted in the system continuing to boot
into bsdinstall as expected.

The error appears to suggest using /dev/acd0, despite the the first line in
the output of bootonly_iso_error.png suggesting the CD-ROM device is
actually /dev/cd0.  I'm inclined to believe I missed a step normally
performed during execution of release.sh (such as editing
bootonly/boot/defaults/loader.conf), but have been unable to ascertain
what.  Any feedback or clues would be greatly appreciated.

[1] http://www.hostileadmin.com/images/bootonly_iso_error.png
[2] http://www.hostileadmin.com/images/bootonly_iso_cdboot.png

--
Take care