Date:      Mon, 9 Mar 1998 10:23:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: dhcps strangeness

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> I'm using dhcp (wide-dhcp) for a while now under FreeBSD 2.2.5
> and it used to work but since some days - maybe caused by a change I made
> to the rc files or something - it doesn't work anynore:
>
>  From the server I'm getting something like:
>
> Mar 9 13:19:23 duke dhcps[187]: DHCPDISCOVER: No more available address in the pool
>
> This happens exactly when I start the dhcpc by hand on the client.

Well, I would bet that it means (surprise) that the DHCP address pool has
been exhausted.  You need to shorten the lease duration on your server so
that addresses are recycled faster.

Check permission on the DHCP-related items, to make sure it can write the
database okay.

In the meantime you are SOL unless you can explicitly expire addresses you
know are unused.