Date:      Fri, 27 Nov 2009 09:33:04 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 8.0-RELEASE completed...

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 09:57:58PM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
>=20
> 	Altho I am still some time from having my migration from the
> 	1998 Kayak -> 2009 Dell done and working, will it be possible
> 	to upgrade my 32bit 7.2-R, p4 to a 64bit 8.0?=20

It is possible, but not easy. Upgrading from 7.x to 8.0 on the same
architecture is not that hard IMHO. Upgrading from i386 to amd64 on the same
release is doable but tricky; you need a spare root partition to install the
amd64 binaries. Combining these two sounds like a big can of worms to me. My
advice would be _not_ to do it.

It would be far easier to just install 8.0 on the new machine and migrate y=
our
data and configuration files. You are going to have to build your ports from
scratch anyway, because you're switching to another architecture and another
major release.

As far as I know, the on-disk filesystem format hasn't changed. (unless your
old machine is still running UFS1. The default now is UFS2)

There are a couple of differences between 7.x and 8.0;
* The USB stack has been rewritten. I've had to change the following in
  /etc/devfs.rules: replace "add path 'usb*' mode 0660 group usb" with "add
  path 'usb/*' mode 0660 group usb"=20
* The name of the tty devices has changed in /etc/ttys; ttydN -> ttyuN
  (impacts /etc/ttys)
* There have been a lot of changes in the kernel configuration. If you want=
  custom kernel, start anew from the 8.0 GENERIC kernel so you don't miss
  anything.=20
* A lot of changes as well in /etc/src.conf (the file that defines which pa=
rts
  of the system are built from source)
* Network cards show up in dmesg and ifconfig, but not as devices in /dev (=
but
  that could be a configuration error on my part.)

All my configuration files are kept in a directory that is under revision
control by git(1), so I could show you exactly what changes I've made.

> 	would get that clear as a first step.  My Intell duo-core is
> 	very fast; would moving to the 64-bit system be a net gain or
> 	loss [in performance]. =20

There is no clear gain or loss answer to that one. It depends on the worklo=
ad
you are running. On the plus size, amd64 has a lot more general registers
available in the CPU than i386. On the other hand, the binaries are
bigger.=20

Since you're switching to another CPU, things like cache size will have a
major inpact. WRT single versus multi cores, my impression has been that the
individual cores in a multi-core intel CPU are somewhat slower that the core
of a similarly clocked single-core CPU. (based on some informal testing I've
done with povray). If your workloads are capable of running on multiple cor=
es
(e.g. make jobs, different programs running concurrently) there will be a
significant speed increase.

You only _need_ amd64 if you are running out of address space on the i386
architecture. Having said that, I've been running amd64 on my desktop since
5.3-RELEASE more or less because I can, and it has worked fine ever since. =
Be
aware though that there are a few (most binary) ports that do not work on
amd64. You can see that in the port Makefiles by looking for things like
NOT_FOR_ARCHS and ONLY_FOR_ARCHS.

HTH,

Roland
--=20