Date:      Thu, 7 Nov 2002 13:18:35 EST
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml.ventu@flashnet.it>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dial in only works for a while

** Reply to note from Lefteris Tsintjelis <lefty@ene.asda.gr> Wed, 06 Nov 2002 20:04:07 +0200

>> Let's deal with the serial port: it's initialized at boot time by rc.serial, so a reboot should have set it up right.
>> In any case wouldn't "sh /etc/rc.serial" be enough to solve the matter in case for some reasons it wasn't
>> properly configured?

>It all depends on how you want your serial port set. I think it is
>initially set at 9600.

I modified rc.serial so adding a "modem ..." line, according to the comments; this should set it to 57600.

>> Furthermore, I often find that cu will only run once; after that, I get a "line in use" message, although ps shows no
>> process using /dev/cuaa0 (there is getty on /dev/ttyd0, but that's also true the first time I run cu). Is there
>> anything I can do to solve this without rebooting?

>Try resetting the modem instead.

This won't help: I asked someone to power the modem down and back up (it's a remote machine for me), but cuaa0 was still
"in use".

>Try this:
>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/serial.html

I had already read that carefully.

>Keep also in mind that by setting the serial port to a speed doesn't
>necessarily mean setting the modem to that speed also. All modern modems
>are auto detect so by simply typing anything to it the modem's
>parameters are auto set. However, I would recommend to lock your serial
>port AND modem's serial speed to a fixed rate and best one is 115200 (or
>even higher if you have), specially if you are using your modem's
>hardware compression. I can't recall the AT commands of your 3Com but I
>think your modem might have some online help. I think its AT$.

This is what I thought I had done.
I'll check again with the modem.

 bye & Thanks
        av.