Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 1999 06:40:53 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Chris Conrad <chconrad@syr.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rc.local and comments

On Mon, Oct 04, 1999 at 04:09:52PM -0400, Chris Conrad wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a new user of FreeBSD (tho I have about 3 years of experience
> working with Linux) and just installed 3.3-Release.  To my joy, I have
> managed to upgrade everything to 3.3-Stable using cvsup and make
> world, configured my soundcard, and got NFS and NIS working.  All
> seems pretty good in the world of *BSD.

Well done!

> I have been using The Complete FreeBSD as my main guide to getting
> things working (as well as a library of O'Reilly books for the
> networking stuff).  However, I see the file rc.local mentioned several
> times in The Complete FreeBSD as a way to set up local services like
> xdm.  Usually it looks like this
>
> # Put your local stuff here
> <setup stuff for daemon in question>
>
> Unfortunately, that file doesn't appear to be on my system, and I have
> no idea what is supposed to be above that line.  Can anyone help me
> out?

This particular question could be specific to whatever version of
FreeBSD you are running, so it would be easy for attempted answers here
to mislead you, and others as well.

You should forward this request to freebsd-questions (you don't have to
join the list first). Apart from being the right list for help, the
book's author will see your message there and would be glad of the
opportunity to correct any problems with the book.

If you do that, be sure to say which edition of the book you're using,
and first check the book's errata in case it is covered there already.
You don't want to get egg on your face in a public forum :-)

Also try to avoid PGP attachments. They cause some people's mailers to
get all alarmed about security and can make some people avoid reading
your email.

I'm sure you'll get a speedy and reliable explanation from freebsd-questions.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-