Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 18:34:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Steve Kudlak <chromexa@ovis.net>, "Roman V. Mashak" <mrv@tv2.tomsk.ru>, "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Nelson, Trent ." <tnelson@switch.com>
Subject:   Re: C-2(Security) blues and the like

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Robert Watson wrote:
> > The first thing you are
> > probably interested in is the Common Criteria description, which I believe
> > is available from ISO.
>
> ...which answers the "how do I get it?" followup question that naturally
> comes from the CAPP/LSPP profile references for the various EAL levels:
> "You pay ISO through the nose for it".
>
> Are ISO standards still on the order of US$9 per single-sided page?  I
> just got my copies of the ECMA standards on CDROM (for free...).

Actually, I believe that the CC should be available for free on the web
somewhere.  Unfortunately, I forget where.  Last time I got it, it was a
free PDF download.  The CAPP and LSPP documents should be on www.nsa.gov
somewhere, or off the radium web page.  Another good acronym to google is
NIAP.

At this point, to be used in .mil, an operating system has to either be
evaluated, or "in evaluation", or have a special exemption.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories