Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 2003 21:02:07 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        ticso@cicely.de
Cc:        ticso@cicely9.cicely.de
Subject:   Re: Ax88172 vs FreeBSD USB stack

Bernd Walter wrote:
> Well the AC88172 PDF is very clear about having 2 interfaces.
> The document also speaks about 4 endpoints, which I expect to be on
> interface 0 as they also have listed endpoint number 0 - they don't
> tell in the document.
> What I currently don't know is why there are 2 interfaces.
> The document also mentions some homenet capabilities on RJ11 - whatever
> it means.
> Maybe it's an hardware optional interface, which is disabled in this
> special device.

Maybe it's running in "Home PNA" mode by default, so the connector
(identical to an ethernet connector) isn't talking ethernet?

Personally, I think the bul transfers have to happen over the other
interface.  I've seen this once before, a while ago.  If there's a
Linux driver that works, maybe you can crib from it, where the
documentation is fuzzy?

It also occurs to me that you might try it under Windows, if you
have a recording USB monitor, and see what's different between
your usage and Windows.  One particularly nasty thing might be it
needing a firmware download from the driver (it's possible).

Doug Ambrisko could probably help you out; I remember he did a
driver for a similar USB dongle (two interfaces) at Whistle.

-- Terry