Date:      Tue, 05 Mar 2002 16:49:07 -0500
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Craig Dooley <cd5697@albany.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MPlayer Video output

Craig Dooley wrote:

> If you're on XFree86-3 then I belive there is no xvideo support.
>
> On Tue, 5 Mar 2002 21:58:49 +0100
> Rickard BorgmXster <doktorn@realworld.nu> wrote:
>
> > When I execute MPlayer to view ie a DVD, I get this message:
> >
> > VO: [xv] 640x512 => 640x512 Packed YUY2
> > vo: X11 running at 1280x1024 with depth 24 and 32 bits/pixel (":0" =>
> > local display) Sorry, Xv not supported by this X11 version/driver
> > ******** Try with  -vo x11  or  -vo sdl  *********
> > FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver!
> > *** free_stream() called ***
> >

> > Of course I can use the -vo x11 option, but I just want to know,
> > what exactly is it that isn't supported? My X-server? (Mach64)
> > Or what?
> >
> > Is it better to use something that supports the "Xv" mlayer refers
> > to? Or what is the advantages I'm missing?

You can run xvinfo to see what (if any) XVideo support you have.
IIRC stock XFree 4 does not support XVideo on the Mach64 though,
but I could be wrong.  If you don't have XVideo support and you're
running XFree 4, you might want to google around for some webpages,
I'm sure there are people in the same boat as you.  On Linux
it's called the GATOS project, I don't know what it's called in
FreeBSD unfortunatly.

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer