Date:      Sat, 2 Oct 2004 13:48:46 +0200
From:      Jan Srzednicki <w@expro.pl>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Wired memory monitoring

Hello,

I am investigating some VM issues on FreeBSD. I have noticed that wired
memory grows quite rapidly on forking lots of processes. After those
processes exit, it drops a bit, but still can use about 100MB after
launching 3000 processes. I think it's not a leak, as subsequent forks
don't cause it to grow noticeably.

I'm rather curious what eats all that memory. sysctl vm.zone shows some
high values, but they're are not high in memory usage terms, even
considering 50% (or so) efficiency of the slab allocator.

The question is, are there any other memory inspecting tools that would
allow me to see where is all that wired memory? And, are there any ways
to control it's behaviour (eg. to free unused per-process structures and
data)?

greetings,
--
Jan 'Winfried' Srzednicki