Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 1996 12:45:09 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        mark@linus.demon.co.uk (Mark Valentine)
Cc:        handy@sag.space.lockheed.com, terry@lambert.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Whee! Page Fault!

> > From: "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
> > Date: Wed 6 Mar, 1996
> > Subject: Re: Whee! Page Fault!
>
> > 0xf0103a84	_cd9660_readdir
> > 0xf0103f34	_cd9660_readlink
> >
> > Terry scores. Recall, I was doing an 'ls' at the time of the offending
> > kernel panic.
>
> I can reliably reproduce this (see the message "reproducible fatal trap 12"
> I just mailed to this list).  Must be some clue in this "coincidence", since
> the cd9660 code hasn't changed since early December...
>
> The last CTM delta I applied and built included the change to take
> sys/vm/swap_pager.c to revision 1.63.

I suspect the buffer the readdir is reading into is not in core at
the time, and so you get a page fault that reeenters the uiomove.

This is part of the generic problem with the organization of the
VOP_LOCK code that I was going on about in another thread; IMO,
it shouldn't matter that you got the fault.  The code needs to
better handle reentrancy in some of the /sys/kern files.

The CD9660 code keeps asking people to rewrite it (8-)), but the
HPFS and RR stuff is so kludged in the mount code that it is
nearly impossible to cleanly make a fix without rewriting most
of the code.

I pointed this out to Jordan before, mostly because he has a larger
set of CDROM's that he can use to do testing than all of the rest
of us put together (probably).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---