Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 10:45:53 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        jpaetzel@hutchtel.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X-windows, Geforce 2 GTS DDR, and FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE

jpaetzel@hutchtel.net (jpaetzel@hutchtel.net) wrote:

> I am running FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE on a P3-700 with a Geforce2
> GTS DDR video card made by Creative called the Annihilator 2.  I
> have installed Xfree86 4.0.2
>
> I have looked all over the web, gone through the www.xfree86.org
> website, searched the mailing list archives, and gone through a ton
> of the documentation that XFree86 installed on my machine.  The
> Xfree86 site claims that my card is now supported by Xwindows,
> but that is about the only documentation I can find there.
>
> I can't seem to get Xwindows to recognize my card.  There isn't a
> listing for any Gforce in the cards database, and of course there
> isn't an option for it in either the graphical or the text based
> configuration program for X.

There is. The card won't be listed under Creative, you should drill down
to the Nvidia section. The Device section of your XF86Config file should
look something like this:

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Card0"
   Driver      "nv"
   VendorName  "NVidia"
   BoardName   "GeForce2 GTS"
   BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

When I ran xf86cfg (rather than xf86config), my GeForce2 card was
autodetected.

Hope this helps a bit.

--
Christopher Farley