Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 22:15:43 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        "Darren R. Davis" <drdavis@calderasystems.com>
Cc:        Pat Dirks <pwd@apple.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Apple's planned appoach to permissions on movable filesystems

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Darren R. Davis wrote:

> Narvi wrote:
>
> > [snip]
> >
> > Have you given consideration to systems where the user/group database is
> > kept for (possibly a large) number of computers in a centralised manner by
> > say hesiod or nys (nis+). It would be nice if there was an easy interface
> > with these so that distributing the local system id numbers need not be
> > done by hand.
> >

> If I was going to look into that kind of approach I would seriously look into
> some
> sort of Directory Server tie in through LDAP.
>
> Darren

Only people at *MANY* sites are already using NIS and Hesiod (or some
entirely different way ) and are very unlikely to migrate to LDAP or some
other directory or not directory scheme for it, or probably even adapt it.

No matter *what* scheme they are already using, they will expect the
interface to the system ids to be able to use it. Mandating scheme XYZ is
just like saying "Here, this is how we want you to distribute passwords.
Forget about Kerberos and NIS+ or whatever other scheme you may have in
place."

Which is why I only talked about the interface, not what might be behind
it or connected to it.