Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 1998 11:14:28 -0500
From:      Dan <dan@sns.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PPP Server Troubleshooting.

Hello. I am trying to set up automatic kernel-mode PPP serving. I have
followed the documentation closely, but seem to be having problems. My
setup consists of a FreeBSD 2.2.5 box connected to router via ethernet. In
the BSD box I have a 33.6k modem. The IP for the router is 207.219.216.1,
the BSD box is 207.219.216.200 and for the client I have reserved
207.219.216.241. I set things up as follows:

1) Rebuilt the kernel with "options GATEWAY" and "options ARP_PROXALL" added
   to the config file.

2) Added the following line to my /etc/ttys file:
   ttyd1   "/usr/sbin/pppd -detach 57600"  unknown on secure

3) Created /etc/ppp/config with the following options:
   	crtscts                 #hardware flow-control
	domain sns.org	   #domain name
	passive                 #wait for LCP
	modem                   #modem
	proxyarp                # use proxyarp routing
	+pap                    # force pap

4) Created /etc/ppp/config.ttyd1 that looks like:
	207.219.216.200:207.219.216.241

5) Created pap-secrets file with format:
	username *	password

6) Configured modem to autoanswer and saved profile.

7) Rebooted system.

8) ps ax shows that the pppd daemon is running.

9) Dialed in from remote, connected succesfully, password and user name
   work perfectly.

	Now for the problems: After connecting, DNS did not function, tried
pinging hosts on local network. I was only able to ping the box with the
modem in it (207.219.216.200). I could telnet to this box and then use the
network
as usual. I changed the gateway_enabled paramater in rc.conf to YES and
rebooted. I dialed back in and name conversion was working well and I could
ping a variety of off-site hosts. The problem I am experiencing is that
connections to sites are very slow and unstable. If I run ping from the BSD
box to the client, I will get times around 100ms but then every 30 seconds
or so, the time will jump up to 6000 - 18000 ms.

	Is this a problem with routing? I thought that proxyarp would kinda
	wedge itself into the routing table on the box and take care of things
	for me.

	Could the modem be defective?

	Have I missed any configuration or misconfigured anything?

   I would REALLY appreciate any info that could be passed along! Is there
any other tutorials on setting up automatic kernel mode PPP serving? This
has got me very perplexed and I'm very curious to find out whats wrong!

	Thanks.

		dan