Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 2000 11:12:04 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "David G. Andersen" <dga@pobox.com>
To:        Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
Cc:        green@FreeBSD.ORG (Brian F. Feldman), ahd@kew.com (Drew Derbyshire), freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rsh/rlogin (was Re: sysinstall DOESN'T ASK, dangerous defaults!)

Lo and behold, Cy Schubert once said:

> More on capabilities.  To do capabilities right apps like su, sudo, and
> ksu would need to be replaced by an admin application that would only
> allow the admin to manage the system, nothing more.  I suppose one could
> have an su application that would have all the capabilities in the world
> but then again what would be the point?  It would be a gaping security
> hole just waiting to be exploited.

  Boggle.  You yourself state later:

> application that would be a gaping hole.  Even though many of the risks
> posed by setuid applications would be mitigated.

  There you go.  Even if you still have the
"administrator-as-god-after-authentication" routine (which, I think, is to
some degree an intractable problem), capabilities still take  you vastly
farther down the road of least privilege than ordinary *nix all-or-none
style permissions.

  Without least-privilege administration tools, a capability-based system
isn't complete -- but it's still MUCH, MUCH better than what we have
now!  Don't torpedo a good thing because it's not perfect.  It never will
be;  a system where I can 'chmod a-s /usr/sbin/sendmail' makes me a lot
happier already.

  -Dave

--
work: dga@lcs.mit.edu                          me:  dga@pobox.com