Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 20:16:49 +0100
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   "unhandled" panic in 4.2-BETA (PR 22723)

I'm a little nervous:  The panic described in
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=22723 happens in a
default (to be) 4.2-R installation when using networked services
inside jails.  It was filed on Nov 9th.  Last time I checked (Nov
13th around 12.00 UTC) it wasn't assigned to somebody familiar
with the TCP stack or jail functionality.  The reason for my
being nervous is the advent of the 4.2 release and having such a
panic in an "officially delivered snapshot" may leave a bad
impression which could have been avoided.

Should I be concerned?  What's the usual delay for getting a PR
classified as "serious" into a working queue or have it rejected
(when misclassified, since the originator may fail in judging its
severity due to personal involvement and emotional reactions:) ?

Are there surveys at all about how typical jail(2) usage is
amongst FreeBSD admins?  This is what could make the panic "not
that serious" in the blink of an eye ...

I'm aware of the complex topic -- that's why I cannot point
further into the problem spot or even provide a fix.  But if the
problem is serious in your opinion, too, and cannot be fixed
prior to shipping 4.2, there should be something like "don't run
networked services inside jails" (which is not useful at all IMO
and defeats the reason for setting up jails at all), "bind all
jailed services to a specific IP" (more probable to be achieved
and done anyway by admins as far as possible, but some services
seem to resist against this treatment) or "don't restrict jails
to UNIX/IP/Route protocols only" (best done with shipping the
appropriate /etc/sysctl.conf file) in the accompanying doc.

Thank you for your attention!

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net