Date:      Sat, 8 Dec 2001 16:24:34 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        "swaggy ." <quiksilver13@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xircom CE3B-100BTX issues

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 08:09:08PM -0700, Nate Williams wrote:
> > I tried your suggestion and now I'm getting "device_probe_and_attach: xe0
> > attach returned 12"
> > I've tried several IRQs already (including those besides 9,10 and 11). I
> > keep getting the watchdog timeout more then just a few times. Usually
> > initiated if I try to ping something or open an ftp session.
> > I'm starting to wonder if there's any known issues with the Thinkpads. My
> > friend calls them "Stinkpads"...heh
>
> No known issues except the usual problems with newer ThinkPads and no
> support for them in XFree86.  Most 'older' (3-6 months old) Thinkpads
> are supported.

I'll second that.  My CE3 is plugged into an ancient TP380... it's built as
though they took a lump of aluminium and machined away the bits that didn't
look like a ThinkPad, but it's worked flawlessly for the five years I've
had it.

Back to you problem, with a few more questions:  Does this machine work
with other PCMCIA cards (especially any other Ethernet cards)?  What kind
of network is it connected to -- crossover cable, hub, switch, what speed?
Have you tried it on another network?  Do the LEDs on the dongle do the
expected thing?

The xe driver has some isues with 10/100 autonegotiation with some
hubs/switches, so it may be worth forcing it to a known good media type in
your ifconfig line; something like:
	ifconfig xe0 <address> media 100baseTX
if you're on a 100Mbps network.  It might also help to lock the port on the
hub/switch in the same mode, if that's possible with your hardware.

If you're feeling adventurous, you could rebuild your kernel with XE_DEBUG
set to a higher value (it's defined towards the top of /sys/dev/xe/if_xe.c)
and post the copious extra debgging output that will be generated.

	Scott