Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 21:50:29 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Odd(?) sh/make behaviour.

> I'm looking at a Makefile that does:
>
> foo::
> 	(set -e; cd foo; unset BAR BAZ; ./something; make stuff)
>
> Now, if I walk up to sh and say 'set -e; unset FOO' where foo doesn't
> exist, sh immediately exit.  At this point, make throws in the towel.
>
> But GNU make doesn't, and for that matter, sh doesn't exit under GNU
> make either, despite the 'set -e'.

IMHO, under FreeBSD GNU make doesn't check for errors, and blindly
continues on as if nothing bad has happened.  This really *sucks*, since
I've got a build environment from Solaris that only works with SysV
make, so I use GNU make under FreeBSD and it dies in the middle of
something but continues on (and keeps getting errors because previous
dependencies weren't built).  When I get back to the machine, I assume
that the build work since the last part of the build doesn't happen to
depend on anything that broke, so I don't see any errors and stupidly
assume it actually worked and all heck breaks loose when I try to do
something and it fails. :(

It may be that our make is 'doing the right thing' in this case.

Nate