Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2001 13:58:13 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Andreasen?= <sra@post5.tele.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD question

--9zSXsLTf0vkW971A

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 04:20:03PM -0700, S=F8ren Andreasen wrote:
> I can't find any info on how to remove some of the
> programs included in the FreeBSD installation process!
>=20
> I'm a BSD newbie! and need to remove 'BIND / named',
> because I am going to install the newest version directly
> from source code.

Create an /etc/make.conf that has "NO_BIND=3Dtrue" in it.  This will stop
BIND from being built when you run "make world".

Then build and install BIND, presumably installing it somewhere under
/usr/local/sbin.  Then edit /etc/rc.conf to set

    named_program=3D/usr/local/sbin/named

or similar.

> I can't use the ports system, because I need to configure it with
> LDAP support...

You can still use the ports system.

Take a look in ports/net/bind9/Makefile (assuming you want bind9, not
bind8 -- if you do want bind8 the procedure will be similar).

As you can see, it will use GNU Configure to do the configuration of the
program.  And there's a variable, CONFIGURE_ARGS, which contains the
arguments that will be passed to "configure".

The procedure is something like this:

    # cd /usr/ports/net/bind9
    # make patch

This will download, extract, and patch the source code for you.  It will
not run "configure".

The source code will have been extracted in to a directory hierarchy
under work/ in the current directory.  Take a look in there for the
installation documentation.  It will tell you to run "configure" and
pass it arguments depending on what you want to do.

[ I don't have the source code for bind9 to hand -- everything that
follows from this point is hypothetical, and you will need to compare it
against the bind documentation ]

Suppose that the documentation says that in order to enable LDAP support
you must include "--enable-ldap" on the command line to configure.

You can now edit /usr/ports/net/bind9/Makefile, and change the
CONFIGURE_ARGS variable so that it includes "--enable-ldap" on the
command line.  Then you can run "make" and "make install" as normal.
Bind will be configured, installed, and registered in /var/db/pkg like
every other application you install.

If you do this, and want to contribute back to FreeBSD, can I suggest
that you take a little extra time and adjust the Makefile so that it
contains something like

    .if defined(WITH_LDAP)
    CONFIGURE_ARGS+=3D <args>

    LIB_DEPENDS=3D <libs>
    .endif

where <args> are the additional arguments that need to be passed to
configure, and <libs> are any dependencies on the LDAP libraries that
bind needs when configured with LDAP support.  You should then send
these changes to FreeBSD's bind9 maintainer, dougb@freebsd.org, so that
other people can benefit as well.

Hope that helps,

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve             http://www.freebsd.org/
FreeBSD Documentation Project           http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/

          --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---

--9zSXsLTf0vkW971A

--9zSXsLTf0vkW971A--