Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 2002 11:25:17 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Michele Costabile <mico@zucchetti.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network problem (stall after a few packets)

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 10:27:02AM +0200, Michele Costabile wrote:
> I have installed FreeBSD 4.6.2 on a system with a Realtek RTL8139
> network card and I see a strange behaviour: I connect to the network,
> and get my IP with DHCP, but when I start a connection, e.g. I open lynx
>  or a X browser, I download a few chilobytes and then the network stalls.

This sounds as if it might be a problem with autonegotiation of the
media settings between your NIC and your switch.  (There's a very good
reason why those RealTek chipsets are universally despised amongst
people that develop ethernet drivers...)

Try forcing the card to use whatever settings are appropriate -- the
rl(4) has details of what media settings it understands.  It's easy to
force those settings via ifconfig(8) if you aren't using DHCP --- you
might want to beg, borrow or steal yourself a static IP number at
least for a while so you can run some tests.

However, I think that the following snippet inserted into
/etc/dhclient.conf should override any media settings obtained from
the DHCP server or any autonegotiated settings.  Untested, use at own
risk, slippery when wet.  See dhclient.conf(5) for the gory details.

    interface "rl0" {
        media "media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex";
    }

> I am not sure if I enabled IPv6 (how can i tell?).

FreeBSD comes IPv6 capable --- generally to enable it for use on an
IPv6 network, you start by ifconfig'ing the interface with an inet6
address.  If you aren't interested in IPv6, then you can simply
pretend it doesn't exist, and the machine will work perfectly well
with the IPv4 settings you give it.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way