Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 1998 16:52:51 -0600
From:      Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley585.res.iastate.edu>
To:        "Alton, Matthew" <Matthew.Alton@anheuser-busch.com>
Cc:        fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filesystem hacking

>I have decided to code up an IBM-style journaling filesystem
>(jfs) with maximum portability for free unices.  While I'm at it
>I had might as well have the clean-bits map to a PP/extent
>disk arrangement which will act as a useful abstraction for a
>Logical Volume Manager / Veritas -esque disk management
>system which I also find interesting enough to code up.

This is quite nice to hear, I would love to see a journaling file system
for FreeBSD.  If you were to base it on JFS, you might want to talk
to Terry as I believe that he has written a read only version.  If
you were to make it compatible with as existing fs, I think that SGI's
XFS would be the way to go.  I think that it is considerably better
than JFS.  See the white paper..

  http://www.sgi.com/Technology/xfs-whitepaper.html

This makes me curious though--how would one go about creating an fs
like jfs, ntfs, hfs or something?  Do you need to reverse engineer
the whole thing?

Chris Csanady