Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 2014 18:31:42 +0100
From:      "C. P. Ghost" <cpghost@cordula.ws>
To:        Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
Cc:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Simple disk encryption for off-site backup

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 4:30 PM, Erich Dollansky <
erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com> wrote:

> There is a huge problem in geli which is not documented. If you create
> a container with FreeBSD 10, FreeBSD 9 will not be able access it. You
> must use the oldest version of FreeBSD which is supposed to work with
> the disk to create the encrypted container. This would be 9.x in your
> case.
>
> Erich

Thanks for the HEADSUP! Really appreciated!

I was about to set up a couple of ZFS-on-GELI volumes on a test/devel
machine that was just upgraded to FreeBSD 10, and planning to access
them later from production servers running FreeBSD 9.2-STABLE,
wrongly assuming they would be compatible.

This should REALLY be documented in the 10.0-RELEASE Errata, as
more people are bound to be bit by this regression.

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/10.0R/errata.html

Thanks,
-cpghost.

--