Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 2009 21:50:27 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: networked audio

--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 12:17:44PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 11:13:17AM +0100, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> > >This ought to be a fast, binary question: are there any [relatively]
> > >simple ways to set up a utility to play sounds [or sound+video] on a
> > >remote computer (say, 25m apart)  and have the mp3/au/wav/ogg files on
> > >the distant computer and the audio play thru the nice speaker system in
> > >my office?
> >=20
> >=20
> > cat mp3files|rsh -l username remote.computer.name "mpg123 -"
>=20
> 	Well, that's simple enough:) plus being pretty sharp because it
> 	works.  "mplayer -" works from the cmd line but tries and fails
> 	to seek backward to the origin. =20

Have you looked at audio/xmms2? It uses a client/server model but is
audio only. [http://wiki.xmms2.xmms.se/wiki/Main_Page]

Other possibilities is a UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) server and
clients. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPnP_AV_MediaServers]

Some modern stereo equipment (e.g. Philips Streamium) has ethernet/WiFi
capability and can play material from a UPnP media server. So you could
have your music/video library on a server, with your stereo playing
music from that library over a wireless link. Cool eh?

I'm not sure if these things fall in the "simple" category, though. :-)
Especially if there's wifi involved as well.

Roland
--=20

--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S

--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S--