Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 1996 13:48:10 +0930 (CST)
From:      Peter Childs <pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au>
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, pjchilds@al.imforei.apana.org.au
Subject:   Re: Automatic PPP-detecting getty and pppd!!!

: > > Do they modify pppd to correctly log users in, do they handle it as a new
: > > gettytab capability, etc?

: Looks to me like it is a bit of a hack that uses a pseudo-user to log the
: user in via login(1) ...  there is some merit to that but I am not sure I
: care for the solution, beyond the fact that it also works.

 The system we are using here is the beta mgetty-99-May31 with AUTO_PPP
 defined, which passes off to a user-ppp that we have modified so
 it _must_ authenticate with pap, and we changed the pap routing to
 only allow users where the first letter of the name is 'P' (thats
 all our PPP user), and then it checks for a vaild username/password
 from the password file (rather than ppp.secret stuff..)

 The changes to /usr/src/usr.sbin/ppp are pretty obvious (just change
 the auth stuff in pap.c), and you have to add some stuff to log 'em
 in, and change some of the suid/guid code too...

 Works a treat for Win95 users, no extra crap required :)

 Peter

--
 Peter Childs  ---  http://www.imforei.apana.org.au/~pjchilds
  The internet is full, please try again in half an hour...