Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 12:17:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Christopher W. Aiken" <cwaiken@telerama.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Applix 5.0 on FreeBSD 4.2 help needed.

I posted this on the comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc news group and no
one was able to help, so I thought I would try the email group.

I bought the Desktop edition of FreeBSD with Applix 5.0.  I was
also sent the FreeBSD 4.2 4CD set.  I installed FreeBSD 4.2 w/o
any problems.  I used the pkg_add command to install Applix 5.0.
The Applix install took forever.  It almost took as long to install
as the FreeBSD 4.2 install.

I fire up "X" and in an xterm window I issue tha Applix command.
I get a message box that says:

Unable to open screenfont: 12 point Helvetia.
screenfont name: -applix-axhvr-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-p-67-iso8859-1
Proceeding with the main dialog font as substitute.

In my xterm window I get the errors:
WARNING: unable to access Applix fonts.
The font path being used by the product is:
    '/usr/local/applix/axfonts/all_pcf'
    If this is not appropriate for your display, restart,
    specifying '-fp your_font_path' on the command line.
    Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkgc.c: line 484 (gdk_gc_set_font): assertion `font != NULL' failed.

Finally Applix comes up for use.   If I pick the "spreadsheet" icon
on the Applix toolbar I get:

axmain: signal Segmentation fault

and Applix crashes tool bar and all.  So I try to fire up Applix again.
This time I have a 20 second wait and get the following error:

Binding TCP socket: Address already in use
Fatal:  Cannot establish any listening sockets
Notice: Font server terminated: Sat Jan 27 11:31:25 2001
Font server terminated

It seems that when you terminate Applix it leaves a "axnet" and a "axfontfs"
process running.  It seems that when you run Applix the second time it
doesn't know that the fontserver, "axfontfs", is running and tries to
establish a second one, which eventually fails with the above
"Binding TCP socket: Address already in use" error above.

If I issue: " killall axfontfs;killall axmain;killall axnet" after I
close Applix then everything is OK for the next time. I have to issue
the "killall" commands or Applix keeps giving me the errors. If I
remember to issue the "killall" commands after each Applix session,
I never have any more trouble with it.

Now comes the interesting part.  If I shut down "X" and restart "X"
The Applix errors start all over again at the top of this email.

Someone indicated that I need GTK installed.  A pkg_info shows that
I have "gtk-1.2.8           General Toolkit for X11 GUI" installed
already.

Can somebody help me out here?  The Desktop edition with Applix 5.0
ran me a cool $150US and I feel I got shafted with software that
isn't ready for production use.  The people that use my system should
not have to restart Applix twice, and issue a bunch of "killall"
commands just to be able to use the Applix 5.0 office product.

--
Christopher W. Aiken, Scenery Hill, Pa, USA
chris at cwaiken dot com,   www.cwaiken.com