Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 2001 23:40:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/24166: Allow Date to generate an RFC-822 Compliant output.

The following reply was made to PR misc/24166; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To: taz@lagmonster.org
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 09:35:49 +0200

 On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 04:28:27PM -0800, taz@lagmonster.org wrote:

 > >Number:         24166
 > >Category:       misc
 > >Synopsis:       Allow Date to generate an RFC-822 Compliant output.
 > >Originator:     David Alexander
 > >Release:        4.2
 > It would be nice to have Date generate (perhaps with a -R switch) an RFC-822
 > formatted output. It would be nice to be able to offset it. (I am looking for
 > a non-converted format to push cookies and other HTTP standard date format
 > uses.

 If you mean date(1) (/bin/date), it can generate output in any format you
 specify.  See the date(1) and strftime(3) manpages (strftime.3 is referenced
 in the SEE ALSO section of date.1).  For RFC-822 compliant output, use:

 date '+%a, %e %b %Y %T %z (%Z)'

 You could even make a tiny shell script to do that, if you don't want all
 those format chars in the way:

 #!/bin/sh
 exec /bin/date '+%a, %e %b %Y %T %z (%Z)'

 Does that suffice? :)

 G'luck,
 Peter

 --
 What would this sentence be like if pi were 3?